Monday, November 28, 2016

My God Is Not Safe

Earlier this month, I finished a book that, in a large sense, redefined how I think about God. I'm in the process of writing a book review, but it might be a few more weeks before I finish. In the meantime, go read Your God Is Too Safe by Mark Buchanan! 
Also, I wrote a poem (in the loosest sense of the word), which I have here transcribed from my journal. It's a bit of a synopsis of my thoughts upon finishing the book.

* * *

My God is not safe.
He is the God of the wind and waves,
of tornadoes and hurricanes.
He is the God who calls people out
from their lands and comfort zones.
He leads us beside raging waters
and gives us free will 
where we should not have it.
He calls us to preach to everyone,
despite persecution, death, suffering, hate.
He might take away that which we hold
precious, or that which we want.
BUT GOD.
God is just, merciful, always present.
He will never forsake us through the hurricane
or away from our comfort or beside the raging waters.
He is our ever-present help.
Our weakness is His strength. 
He has gone before us, boldly, like a lion,
preaching and being persecuted and killed.
He will take away, but He gives more generously
than we can comprehend.
My God is not safe, but my God is good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment